What to do if your dog gets stung by a bee or wasp?

During summer time it is quite common that dogs get bitten by various bugs and insects, hopefully not the dangerous ones, however bee stings occurs very often, mostly because of dog’s fascination to catch anything that makes a sudden movement! 

So it is really important to know what to do when this happens. 

The first sign of a bite will be redness and swelling. The dog may lick or swipe at the area with a paw. It may be difficult to see the sting if it has occurred within the dog’s fur. 

A common place for stings is the nose and the foot pads where there is no hair. 

This is what you should do if your dog gets stung by a bee / wasp: 

1. Remove the stinger. Do not use tweezers as this can cause the venom sac to burst, thus injecting more into the dog’s system. Instead, use a credit card or something rigid with an edge, and holding it parallel to the skin, gently scrape the stinger out. 

2. Wash the wound carefully with a damp cloth and mild soap. Antibacterial ointment is a good option to keep bacteria out.

3. Apply a cold compress to the area to reduce the swelling and offer some relief from the itching. If you are using ice, wrap it in a soft towel or cloth first so it doesn’t stick to the dog’s skin and hair. Apply the compress for between 5 and 30 minutes at a time. 

4. INTERESTING! Baking Soda – An emergency bag essential! Did you know that baking soda mixed up with a little water (the mixture should have a texture similar to a paste) can be a great anti-itch cure for bites and stings? Just apply the mixture over the sting and allow it to dry. The itching should pass in just a few minutes. 

What to do if a dog has taken a bite of a passing bee or wasp and has been stung in the mouth?

5. Offer the dog ice water to drink to reduce the swelling. Try to get the dog to drink a pint of water with a teaspoon of baking soda in, or if he’s not keen, try to squirt this onto the sting with a baster or syringe. This is to reduce the itching. 

However, do not forget that you can always call a local Veterinarian if you are worried or have any doubts at all. 

I hope your dog stays safe, happy and sting- free this summer!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *